Saturday 4 February 2012

I don't want to go through that again

This past week I have found myself in situations that were rather stressful to say the least. I didn't need someone to tell me that I was experiencing stress or a professional to diagnose it. I knew it by the way I felt and the way it altered my ability to think clearly and make the right decisions.
It took a lot of self talk and a couple of supportive people, which included my man and some ladies from Craftaholics, to get me back on track. However I don't think the Craftaholics ladies would even realise how fantastic they were on Wednesday night and how they helped. Love you ladies.

It got me thinking though. What are these times of extreme stress doing to me?  It is amazing how bad it is for our minds and bodies whether it is long term or just short periods of it.
Apart from the common signs of stress; headaches, sleeplessness, irritability, loss of appetite; did you know that it can also cause the following: nightmares, excessive burping and flatulence (Oh that wouldn't be fun), muscle spasms, hives and unexplained allergy attacks, forgetfulness, disorganisation and even confusion. http://www.stress.org/topic-effects.htm 


Breaking it down, it makes me want to be more in control of how I handle the situations that cause my stress. How on earth do we do that when ultimately none of us are in control. I suppose we need to limit the amount of effect the stress has on us.
For me its the self talk. The words and phrases that I use to bring things back into perspective are so very important at the time when the stress is most prevalent. Then its the support of the people around me, not to let me cry on their shoulder. They are there to say "Hey come on, you're better than this situation. You have dealt with bigger problems than this." And they are there to stop me replaying the situations in my mind. Hindsight can be great but not if we are looking back at what we would have done differently and bashing ourselves up for it. Use the hindsight to work out what you can learn from the experience and what you would do different Next Time. Once I have run these things through my head, I must move on and be ready for what life throws at me next. Journal your feelings, thoughts and actions for next time. I find it so benefical to get things out on paper and stop them circling around in my mind. Just take a slow deep breath and move on.

Yep it is always easier said than done!! If you can do it, Well Done. Pat yourself on the back and reward yourself with some me time! For me, it will be crochet this time, on my comfy recliner with a little yummy too. Right now my only stress is which yummy will I eat first. :)

Bernie

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bernie :)
    I just wanted to thank you for your kind words on my blog. I appreciate it so much and am very humbled... You are a blessing! :) Blessings to you and your sweet little family!
    -Amy J.

    ReplyDelete